Those people who follow me on Facebook have been asking what is happening with our cats so here goes:
Gabriel was diagnosed about a year ago with an overactive Thyroid, not unusual in a cat of his age (17 years old), but it didn't respond well to medication. We have changed medication twice now and it finally seems to be working, but for long term the best quality of life is offered by radioactive thyroid treatment, which will fix the condition, not just treat it.
The downside? The nearest place that offers the treatment is in Derby AND it will mean Gabriel being away from us for two weeks (while the radioactivity wears off). Gabriel is a territory orientated cat and will HATE being away from home and away from us, he also likes access to the outside and not only will he be restricted to Inside while away from home, but the first week after he gets home too. We thought carefully about what to do and have decided to go ahead with the radioactive treatment. (Its also rather expensive, but our thoughts were about what is best for Gabriel as opposed to our finances and two thirds of the cost should be covered by his insurance.)
Last Wednesday we went down to Derby (a 1 and three quarter hours drive with a cat in the car crying all the way) to see if he was suitable for treatment and they have confirmed that he is (his heart is strong, they have some worries about his kidneys, but nothing to stop the treatment going ahead) and he is booked in to start treatment on the 2nd June. So I have just less than two weeks to spoil him and cuddle him and then two weeks of missing him and worrying about him until we can bring him home.
I hope we have made the right decision for Gabriel, but it will be at least a month before we can answer that question.
We have been seeing a lot of our vet lately, because as well as the frequent tests for Gabriel's thyroid condition we became worried about Ollie. He was drinking a LOT of water (I have never known a cat who could drink a third of a pint of water in one sitting before now) and not eating a lot.
We took him in to the VET to get him checked out and the diagnosis is early stage kidney disease. He was in the VET for three days on a drip which helped him no end and since them he has been at home, but on a special diet and with regular visits back to the vet to check how he is doing. I still worry he is not eating enough and hard to tempt him to eat with treats when he has to be on special food.